Triangle Wizard

Can you brave the dungeons of Everdoom?

Forums

Forum Home > Playing Triangle Wizard > Current Version - 17.01

The Lizardman

Love the game, just tried out the newest version. The switch to melee is interesting - it's hard when you're mobbed to make sure you're facing the right direction to melee automatically, but the melee at-will via the right mouse button is nice. There's a few things I noticed with this version:

* The shift key is used for running, but also for picking up spells/items. This means that you can't run over spells/altars/stairs without picking them up by accident. I'd make Alt exclusively the pickup key.

* Sprinting drains the meter if you accidentally run into a wall. It shouldn't drain the meter when you're running into a wall.

* It feels way too easy to drain the stamina meter and go into a recovery state. I've done this way too many times by attempting to sprint after a jump, which feels like it should be natural but isn't. The penalty of being unable to cast spells or melee or jump seems really harsh when it happens. Maybe half-damage, half jump height, something else? It almost feels like the game could benefit from a faster default movement speed. Or, instead of having to sprint everywhere, implement a teleportation dodge, something that moves you just far enough that you could time it to dodge right past projectiles. At any rate, the stamina meter feels way too central to everything since triggering cooldown means no spells, no melee, no jumping, literally no way to protect yourself. I'd look at the stamina mechanic to have perhaps a heavy damage penalty when exhausted, or doubled casting time, but being unable to melee or cast spells at all during it can be instantly fatal way too easily.

Vanquish is a similar game with a cooldown meter that drains when sprinting, but triggering cooldown still allows you to defend yourself and dodge (though you have a 30% movement penalty, can't sprint, and dodging has less invulnerability): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKq9vLBFEA

* Letters don't seem to work to quick select spells anymore? I have to hotkey everything or manually select it via the insert key it seems. It'd also be nice to have a set of keys to cycle through all spells in the list, like [ and ] or numpad - and numpad +. Previous known spell / Next known spell, etc.

July 17, 2016 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Lizardman

Oh, and I can't figure out how to scroll up and down in the spell description screen - a lot of spells have the text cut off I can't make out ingame in the display. Is there a way of doing this? Thanks.

I might be exaggerating the frustration with stamina - melee seems to work pretty well for knocking back enemies now when they get in range so maybe it's a matter of treating sprint as a last resort. That and I'm still bad at the game? :D

July 17, 2016 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Lizardman

Actually, there is a bug with sprinting - diagonal sprinting takes twice as much stamina compared to horizontal or vertical sprinting. This doesn't make any sense, seeing as how you can shoot and move in 360 degrees.

July 17, 2016 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.